Monday, August 19, 2013

The Awesomeness of my Site

> Amazing mountain views everywhere. It doesn't take very long to find yourself standing at one.

> The food producing plants. I've seen oranges, bananas, plantains, coffee, papaya, mint, lemon grass, sugar cane and others I've forgotten to mention. My region is also the orange capital of Panama.

> A waterfall with a swimming spot at the bottom. Don't think I have to say much more about this.

> Ice cold Coke within twenty minutes of walking. ...Enjoy the little things

> Tea every night. I've had some amazing tea so far made from lemon grass, mint, and cinnamon.

> Orange juice! This sounds strange but 99% of all 'juice' in Panama, and other parts of South America, have the ingredients for these drinks listed as "Water, sugar, ..." My site was the first time I've had fresh juice since arriving.

> Electricity from sundown until about 9pm. It's nice to have just enough electricity to charge your electronics but not enough that you'll end up watching movies and mindlessly browsing the internet the entire day.

> Cell service within walking distance. I only have to walk about 5 minutes to get service whereas other volunteers need to walk one or several hours.

> Clean drinking water that doesn't need filtering. Of course I am there to work on water, only a third of the community right now has access to this amazing water.

That's what I've gathered thus far from only 4 days in site. Can't wait to see what other hidden treasures my community has in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment