Saturday, August 3, 2013

My Home for the Next Two Years

This past Friday I found out my site placement! I've been waiting for this day since I found out I'd be moving to Panama. I'll be living in a small town of 120 people a short drive from the city of Penonomé in the region of Coclé which is about two hours west of Panama City.

The central part of town is made up of 24 houses of which, currently only 9 receive water. Potentially, I'll be working to increase the capacity of the system so that more water will be collected at the source and more houses will be setup on the receiving end. The community has also expressed interest in latrines. There will be no electricity in the the community but if they are interested, I hope to help bring electricity to the community as well.

For those that are thinking of visiting, it's about a three hour bus ride and fifteen minute walk from the bus station in Panama City. I'm to the west and also located along the way to Bocas Del Toro which is a popular tourist destination. I'm about an hour or so from the beach Santa Clara which is absolutely beautiful. The regional capital hosts events around the time of Carnival which are pretty popular.

That's about all the information I have at this point. I'll be visiting next week for a few days and will report back with more then.

No comments:

Post a Comment