Saturday, June 22, 2013

First visit to a training site:

Today was an excellent day in which we got the chance to check out a current Peace Corps volunteer's(PCV) site as well as the water project she was working on. We spent almost three hours hiking through the thick jungle and I managed to only get bitten by one fire(possibly?) ant. Otherwise the walk was beautiful and uneventful. After hiking we made our way to the school for lunch where we hung out for a bit before heading off to the PCV's home to get a glimpse into what it looks like. I didn't get a chance to take any pictures so you'll just have to wait until I eventually move in.

The crowning achievement of my day came during the twenty minute walk back to the bus. Originally we were supposed to sit and have discussions with some of the locals to learn more about Panama and practice our Spanish however this was cut short due to time constraints. I ended up walking back next to one of the native Spanish speakers leading my training group and I decided to jump at the opportunity to Speak Spanish and was able to carry a pretty in depth conversation with minimal difficulty. It's great to know that all my hard work since first starting Spanish in high school are finally paying off. Tomorrow when we arrive to do a home stay for the next few weeks, I can safely say the language will not be a difficulty of mine.

Finally, a note more directed at family and friends: My time with all night wifi is finally coming to a close. Tomorrow morning I head off and will be generally without internet for days at a time. I wasn't able to secure a cell phone just yet but I will pass that number on to you when I get it. For now, know that I am doing great and loving life.

No comments:

Post a Comment