Thursday, July 11, 2013

Rolling with the Punches

Last night I experienced the perfect storm. It came not in the form of an amazing rain storm but in the coming together of many dogs. Imagine that one time when all the dogs in the neighborhood were going nuts in unison. Now imagine that all of those dogs were right outside of your house barking. That's what happened to me last night.

At about 1:50 in the morning I awoke to lots of barking. I attempted to ignore it but the noise persisted. My host brother of ten years old got up to investigate. He tried to wake up his older brother who didn't move. He then tried to get me up but I was against getting out of bed since I'd played soccer for two hours straight earlier that night. He decided instead to venture off to handle the situation himself.

At this point I laid there and imagined a rabid dog attacking him (these dogs aren't actually rabid or very threatening btw) and so I jumped out of bed and went with him. As we were walking toward the back door, I tried to find a weapon to use but didn't possess the vocabulary to inquire about a bat or something similar since I was unable to speak Spanish at 2am after being woken from a deep sleep. Instead, I grabbed the closest bar shaped object in the form of the house broom.

I opened the back door to find somewhere in the neighborhood of ten dogs hanging out with my dog, who is currently in heat. I proceeded to shout "valla" which is the command to get a dog to go away, and threatened them with the broom. Quickly the dogs scattered and I moved to the front door to make sure they were gone. After chasing some dogs through the streets with my broom I returned home to get some sleep.

However, the dogs kept up their barking until finally at exactly 4:10am they stopped. And then two minutes later the rooster started.

In summary, it's best to learn to roll with the punches.

No comments:

Post a Comment