Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Wise Words that Supported me Throughout Year One

I think besides the family, friends, fellow volunteers, Peace Corps staff, and my girlfriend who helped me overcome the obstacles I faced throughout the year, quotes and books were another big help. Since I can't quite transmit the wisdom received from all but the last source, I thought I'd share some of the those quotes that have guided me best.

If I feel I've got some personal wisdom to add to the quotes, I'll throw it in, otherwise I'll leave them to stand alone.

"The thing about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, the thing that was so profound to me that summer- and yet, also like most things, so very simple - was how few choices I had and how often I had to do the thing I least wanted to do. How there was no escape or denial. No numbing it down with a martini or covering it up with a roll in the hay." - Wild by Cheryl Strayed

"Enjoy the little things."- Zombieland 
See this blog post. And this video.

"They say don't put off until tomorrow that you can finish today, I saw the rest of your life is only moments away." - Familiar Faces by Rhymefest
You've got that to do list, that thing to do, if you don't do it today, when are you ever going to do it?

"Realize, that when you're comparing yourself to others, you're comparing your behind the scenes to their highlight reel." - Unknown

"If you don't like it, change it. If you cannot change it, change yourself." - Unknown

"Con calma" - Fermin del Rosario (My host dad)
Translates as "with calm." What better way to do things than with calm? I remember talking to my sister about these words and I'd said "So like, chill the fuck out?" And she responded that I was missing the point. Truth.

I hope that these words carry over in to your personal lives and/or Peace Corps services and bring about a new lens through which to observe life.

No comments:

Post a Comment