Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Illusionist


I met two people, a drunk and a hard worker. We'll call the hard worker Luis and the drunk Pablo... obviously fake names. 

Pablo...  ugh. I invited him to meetings to which he never came. I visitied his house and he offered me a beer but it was while his wife was yelling at him for being drunk. His two kids were stuck somewhere in the background of this awful situation. Generally, just not a good situation. 

However, visiting Luis was absolutely amazing. He helped get my garden going, was a friend when I had no other friend in the community, offered advice, always said "con calma" which translates to calmy, whenever I was freaking out about whatever situation. Luis helped me to not end my service early by always being there. 

Pablo frustrated, Luis saved me from quiting. I bet you wouldn't expect however that they are the same person. 

What to do? What to think? The man who pushed me the most, also pulled me down the most. 

With everything he brings to the table, I am forever grateful for his positive aspects. I would have given up without him. 

As I contemplate him, I think of others who have affected me in a similar manner and I've come to a realization. Take it all how you will. While Pablo, the drunk, frustrated me to no end, Luis was advising me to no end and without him I would have left Panama. 

We're not all perfect. If you stepped into someone else's shoes and then observed yourself, would you give yourself the benefit of the doubt or go right for the neck? 

We all have faults but through those faults, we also have much to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment