Friday, May 23, 2014

Saril


It all started one day back in December when my host mom brought me a warm red drink which was called saril. (I'd later learn it's also known as Jamaica tea) It was amazing and fitting to the season, it tasted exactly like Christmas. Inquiring about the drink, my host dad led me up to his farm and introduced me to the plant that spawned the drink. 

Sadly, I didn't take a picture of this amazing plant that would eventually become my favorite beverage here in Panama so I'll do my best to describe it. The plant itself is nondescript but the flowers are something out of this world. Dark red pedals curl up from the stem around a giant seed contained inside their protection. At the point where the pedals originate, spiky something-or-others, that aren't exactly sharp, emerge outward as well, also dark red. With a knife the spikes are cut away and the seed is removed, leaving the main ingredient of saril. Boil the pedals in water, add sugar, choose from ginger or cinnoman and enjoy. 

... for about 3 weeks. The saril season, though the plant blooms like mad, only lasts for three weeks. This leaves 11 months and a week of suffering until the next batch. 

I was a little bit slow on the development of my enjoyment of the finer aspects of the food world and this was the first time I demanded an imitation that tasted exactly the same as the original. Contrary to the previous statement, I had an obsession with Tang, that popular fake orange drink that is popular in America. I discovered one day that Tang produced a saril flavor. I rushed home, super giddy to give my new drink a try. I did, it was horrible. That was the first and last time I ever expected a packet of chemicals to taste like a naturally growing flower. 

Back to square one. Except I quickly gave up on square one and decided to suck it up and count the months down until the next harvest. 

Until one day, about a week ago when I stumbled randomly upon a packet of tea that was in the regional house where the leader of my region lives. I saw a box of the tea bag version of saril and knew that I had to get myself some. The brand was only sold at one store, Riba Smith, in the city, and luckily I was headed there the next day. 

Once in the city I made a beeline for the tea section and purchased myself two boxes of tea, at $1.07! One for my friend as a thank you gift, and one for myself. That of course will not be the last box. 

As I was browsing the store purchasing other food to prepare for dinner, I happened upon an obscure drink section that was selling saril! What amazing luck! As I took a sip, the horrible mishap with Tang bouncing around in my head, I was relieved to see that I had found a source of saril that tasted about the same as the stuff my host mom made me! 

In closing the wait is worth it, and chemical imitations never are.

No comments:

Post a Comment