Friday, November 29, 2013

DIY: Cups, Shot Glasses, Etc.

I read several months back an article about turning an empty wine bottle into a cup. I was always interested by it and figured I would give it a try. So far, I’ve attempted with two bottles and I’m going to try again once I get moved into my own house since the whole process looks a little ridiculous and I don’t want to be using my host family’s stuff to do this. Once I try again I’ll update this post.

What you’ll need:
·         Sharpie marker or another marker that can mark glass
·         Rubber band
·         Sandpaper: You’ll want different quality paper. I got 150, 220, and 320.
·         Lantern or candle
·         Glass cutting tool: These can be found at a hardware store. They’re usually used for cutting glass for windows so it shouldn’t be that hard to locate one.
·         Glass bottle with smooth straight walls. Next time I plan to use empty hot sauce bottles to make shot glasses.
·         Large container: You’ll want something that you can submerge the bottle up to the line you cut into it. Avoid plastic unless you’re careful because you don’t want to destroy the container.
·         Gloves

Instructions: (Note: In my original attempt, I made a whole system to cut the glass cleanly but I believe this to be unnecessary. The next time I attempt to cut a bottle I’m going to do so without it.)
1)      Use the rubber band to mark where you’d like to draw your line. Then use the marker to mark the line and remove the rubber band.
2)      Using the glass cutting tool, Press into the bottle and begin to cut along the line. Once you’ve got a line that runs around the bottle that you can feel the indent with your finger, it’s time for fire.
3)      Hold the bottle over the flame and rotate it at roughly one rotation every twenty seconds. Keep doing this for about three minutes.
4)      Quickly submerge the entire line around the bottle in cold water and turn it while gently trying to separate it.
5)      If it doesn’t separate repeat steps 3 and 4 until it does.
6)      Once they separate it’s time to clean up the rim of the glass. If it’s not already smoothly cut, use the glass tool to mark a line. Repeat steps 3 and 4 except this time use the key shaped part of the glass cutting tool, or a pair of pliers to gently remove the jagged parts.
7)      Now it’s time to smooth the rim. Start with the grittiest sandpaper you have and go around the rim several times. Proceed to the more fine sandpaper and repeat the process until you’ve used all your types of sandpaper.

8)      At this point the glass is ready to go. Rinse it out with soap and water and you’re ready to go.






No comments:

Post a Comment