Tuesday, September 9, 2014

My Travels in Peru: Part 3

Bit of a delay with getting these last pictures up, apologies.

So for the last part of my journey, and the reason for having traveled to Peru, was to do a five day four night hike starting just outside of Cusco and finishing at Machu Picchu. For about $500, we got meals, tents, hotel for the last night, entrance to Machu Picchu, men to carry our bags, a guide, and other things I'm currently forgetting. It was well worth it I must say.

Getting ready to start hiking.


Mint leaves. If I recall correctly, when smelled, smelled helped with respiration at such high altitudes.

There were beautiful plants everywhere.


Here is a well maintained aqueduct that was originally installed by the Incas.

Resting after the first day.



Where we ate our first day's meals.

We were told about an awesome lake high up from the camp site that we hiked up to after arriving the first day. You can see the campground in the background. At such high altitudes like this, we were taking breaks every twenty or thirty steps to catch our breathes. Definitely the hardest part of the hike. 


Unhappy about waking up at about ~5am to begin hiking. It was FREEZING.

I decided, instead of following the switchbacks up, as you can see below. I went off the path and straight up the side of the mountain. Dumb mistake, it was ridiculously hard.

Reached the highest point!


Traditional Peruvian Household 

Passing through a recent landslide. 




Base camp on day two.


Looks like something out of A Bugs Life. Little setup to be able to fill your water bottle with spring water.


Method for crossing the river.


Celebratory beer after finishing hiking.
Sadly my camera died before I got to Machu Pichhu so I was unable to get more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment