Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Throw Away Culture

So I've run into a bit of writer's block for the past couple of months and have resorted to mostly just posting pictures and stuff that's easy to submit without thinking too much. I forced myself to start writing on the first topic that motivated me a little bit. It's not the best but I'd like to talk about it and try and get back into regular writing.

I find it fascinating the throw away culture that exists in the United States and other countries. Button comes off? Throw it away. Electronic device stops working? Throw it away. Dealing with the trash situation here in Panama has led me to discover the reuse culture that exists. Due to the fact that many do not possess the resources to simply throw it away and buy a new one, they have pursed different paths. Materials of potential use are saved for future application. One awesome resource I’ve seen recently was a broken washing machine converted to grind grains for consumption. Another avenue is repair. For many items that break or fall apart, there is a store you can go to get it repaired. Instead of spending $15 on a new pair of sandals, I got the bottoms replaced for $3. Instead of throwing out my fold up chairs, I had the fabric repaired for a few bucks. It’s rather amazing the easy measures one can take to avoid having something end up in the dump. The same can be done in the United States if you look just a little bit. And in the United States, the savings will be even greater and you can then travel to Panama, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment