Wednesday, September 18, 2013

City Dogs Suck

There are two different types of dogs that populate the country of Panama. The first is city dogs who live comfortable lazy lives and the second is campo dogs which have hard but adventurous lives out in the countryside. My first two months I wrongly classified that all dogs in Panama as city dogs and grew quickly to hate them.

Several generations of dogs ago, there only existed campo dogs since cities had yet to become a thing. The purpose of these dogs was to provide security for their owners. They remained loyal and were always by your side ready to protect whatever wild animal or dangerous human you encountered. At the sign of a machete they would become super excited, knowing that an adventure will soon be underway.

City dogs are dogs that live in areas that people have managed to tame nature and push it back. Wild animals are no longer a common issue and the police force deals with humans. City dogs have transformed themselves to become filthy animals that love to bark all night, leave presents in the streets, and fight each other.

When I first arrived in country I was warned by volunteers that dogs don't receive the best treatment here and to emotionally prepare you for it. I'd have to say that one of my quickest transition from American to Panamanian was in regards to feelings about dogs. In regards to city dogs, I hate them, but I love campo dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment